Here is an inspiring video of Peter Senge underscoring the purpose of education.
1. The goal of education is for me to become me;
2. The goal of education to contribute to society.
Some key ideas of this video:
- Children are connected to the world but become disengaged with education because it offers no connection what-so-ever with the challenges at hand today.
- When Senge says that we need to wake up and smell the coffee, he is referring to our educational system in the first place, which needs to be re-callibrated with today’s world.
- Schools need to be about the world kids are going to live in.
- The high-school of the future is not a building but a launchpad.
- The know -how to do it already exists.
- Now is the time to tap into the know-how to scale it.
Back-ground music of Bob Dylan’s ‘The Times They Are A Changin’ would have been appropriate.